In 2017 a piece of research commissioned by The Community Foundation for Ireland highlighted the fact that Travellers in Ireland are still faced, on a daily basis with a wide range of social challenges, such as discrimination, bullying and obstacles when accessing accommodation, employment, education and health services. In light of this, The Community Foundation for Ireland met with key stakeholders from leading Traveller organisations who identified a need to build capacity from within the Travelling Community by developing leadership strategies at a local level.
With this in mind, we are offering grants of up to €6,000 to Traveller-led organisations to develop Leadership Strategies within their local communities. These strategies will be developed in 2018-19 for the three year period 2019-2022 and must focus on three key themes:
- Political leadership among Travellers
- Leadership of Travellers within the Traveller movement
- Engagement of the youth in the movement but also within the wider landscape
For organisations who produce exemplary strategies in Year One (2018), a second grant may be offered in Year Two (2019) to support those organisations to operationalise their strategies and enact them over the three year period.
What We Are Looking For:
Local, Traveller-led, community-based organisations to:
- Work with the communities they serve to determine what kinds of leadership strategies are needed by local groups in their areas/ communities
- Develop a three year leadership strategy with that community that incorporates the three key themes listed above
- Develop a strategy that incorporates well-defined deliverables for each of the three years, with clear and practical pathways to achieving these deliverables.
Round opens for applications: 10th August 2018
Closing Date for applications: 20th September 2018
Grants will be made by: Mid November 2018
Progress Report: 31st May 2019
Final Strategy due: 15th November 2019
How to Apply:
Before applying you must read the full criteria document here to ensure that your organisation is eligible to apply. Once you have ensured that you meet all of these criteria, you can make an online application by clicking on the link below: https://communityfoundationireland.secure.force.com/forms/TravellerLeadership2018.
If you have any queries in relation to the grant criteria, application process or your eligibility for the scheme, please don’t hesitate to contact Sara Stokes at firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is 17:00 on the 20th September 2018 and no submissions will be accepted after this time.