Posted on January 08, 2018
A significant grant has been provided to the Irish Council for Civil Liberties through a family fund at The Community Foundation for Ireland. The Irish Council for Civil Liberties works tirelessly to defend and strengthen constitutional rights protections and to ensure the full implementation of international human rights standards. They have been at the forefront of key human rights campaigns in Irish society, making a significant impact on law, policy and public opinion. These have included campaigns for legal divorce, decriminalisation of homosexuality and for marriage equality.
The grant that was provided to the Irish Council for Civil Liberties is for the Garda Reform Project 2018-2020, specifically to cover staffing costs to dedicate staff time to work on Garda Reform and to manage a coordinated programme of research, policy and advocacy activities over the period 2018-2020. This programme will include engagement with the Commission on the Future of Policing and other reform processes, and the management of a research project under the Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission grant programme.
The policy activities will include:
- drafting and disseminating a series of submissions to the Commission on the Future of Policing on key human rights issues
- drafting and disseminating a series of submission to the Oireachtas, Government and other stakeholder bodies at the national and international level on police reform topics
- developing strategic relationships with the police accountability bodies (GSOC, Inspectorate and Policing Authority), to support and inform their work
Communications and advocacy activities will include:
- a strategic programme of media interventions on police reform
- a social media and web presence on police reform
- a series of public events to raise awareness of human rights and policing issues
- a series of targeted stakeholder events with key constituencies for police reform.
The Community Foundation for Ireland is dedicated to work with all of our funds; including family, individual and corporate, to provide opportunities and guidance on strategic giving in Ireland. To find out more about working with The Community Foundation for Ireland please click here.